WHAT THE BIBLE TELLS US ABOUT DATING - Bible Study Lesson Outline
WHAT THE BIBLE TELLS US ABOUT DATING
- There used to be no such thing as "dating". There was courtship and there were marriages (arranged or otherwise). But people did not endlessly and casually "date". That would have been strange to people less than a century ago.
- There was no such thing as hooking up. There was prostitution and there was behavior that only low-class people behaved in, but it was looked down on by the vast majority of people everywhere. This changed drastically in the last ten years, and began in the 1960s.
I. WHAT GOD INTENDED
- Male and female
- Why? That's how he created people
- Why? It's what works biologically.
- One man and one woman is known as "Marriage"
- No other examples of anything else are given in the Bible
- Any other arrangement is fraught with flaws and problems
- For something to be called marriage it must fit the definition of marriage (????)
- Marriage is intended to be for life
- The only alternatives to marriage are:
- Divorce (not ideal)
- Separation for a time (not ideal)
- Remain unmarried
- There are no other types of romantic/intimate relationships between male and female
- Believers should be paired with believers
II. WHAT PEOPLE DO (INSTEAD OF GOD'S PLAN)
- They marry and then divorce
- It's expensive
- It causes people to become enemies
- It has lasting negative effects on kids
- They engage in cycles of dating
- Give pieces of their heart to many people
- Waste time and emotional investment
- They substitute living together for marriage
- Have none of the safeguards of marriage
- Have none of the legitimacy, respectability of marriage
- Have none of the blessings of marriage
- They hook up
- Debase themselves
- Harden their hearts
- Turn themselves into damaged goods
III. WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
- Have the right thinking about dating and marriage
- That everything has a purpose, and therefore the purpose of dating should be to seek a mate
- That every type of action has results. Good actions have good results. Bad actions have bad results.
- That marriage is permanent and if you decide to marry someone you are making a true commitment
- Avoid (abstain, stay away from, stop) all harmful behavior
- Not because you're not allowed to have fun
- Because what is fun "now" will be not fun later
- Decide to seek a person who meets God's standards, pray for God to send that person to you, decide that any dating would be with a mind towards marriage, and act honorably toward whoever you think might be the one you should marry.