THE SPIRIT WORLD Part 2: Sorcery - Bible Study
THE SPIRIT WORLD
Part 2: Sorcery Continued
1. It is better to walk with God, than to not walk with God.
2. Sorcery is taken seriously by the Lord, and believers should seriously be aware ("beware") of it.
3. Sorcery attempts to connect our world with the spirit world. It does so by opening "doorways" which are intended by God to be kept closed.
4. Many people don't believe in these things. Skepticism can be good. But when it's taken too far - when obvious evidence and truth is disregarded - skepticism is nothing more than dishonestly and results in blindness to reality and the truth.
a. Just because you or I have never experienced something doesn't make it untrue.
b. "Seeing" should not be the basis for believing (or not believing) something.
c. Incidents of supernatural evil seem to be on the rise. If so...why?
5. Spirits are connected with sorcery. We can learn a few things from the following scripture passage:
"13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. 14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? 16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. 17 And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified. 18 And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds. 19 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. 20 So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed." Acts 19:13-20
a. Demon possession is connected with sorcery. It is the result of calling upon spirits.
b. People - other than believers in Jesus - sometimes try to drive out evil spirits. Are they successful, and are their exorcisms genuine?
c. Evil spirits fear Jesus and His power, and must obey Him.Spirits have the ability to know which people true believers and which people are unsaved.
d. Evil spirits are more powerful than people. A person who is possessed will act like a beast, have great knowledge, and have great strength.
e. The people who practiced sorcery knew they must stop. They also knew they must destroy all their magic books - even though the items could have been sold for a lot of money.
f. When we are doing something wrong, we should admit it and change our ways! There is no shame in being honest.
6. Religions prefer to worship things they can see or touch. If you want to understand a religion, look at its idols. Roman Catholicism has many idols and they tell you exactly what is important in Roman Catholicism: a woman (called "Mary"), a dead or dying son (called "Jesus"), an assortment of lesser gods (called "saints"), and even a piece of bread called the "host".
a. Sorcery is connected with idols. These can be things such as rings or amulets all the way up to statues of "gods" (spirits). (I Cor. 10:20)
b. Sorcery is connected with knowledge. That's why books are used, and secrets talked about (secret societies, mystery religions). (Gen. 3:5 & Rev. 2:24)
c. Sorcery is connected with symbols. The "stars" are being worshipped and their symbols are well-known in sorcery. (Amos 5:26 & Acts 7:43)
d. Sorcery is connected with ceremony and law. Spells and witchcraft require exact adherence to instructions of devils.
e. Christianity is worship of a God who fills the universe, dwells in a temple He made (us), speaks plainly through His Word, reveals truth and gives wisdom to us freely, gifts us with salvation and all our needs, and loves us unconditionally.