HOW TO SEE THE TRUTH
Sometimes, what's right and wrong can seem confusing. But finding out the truth is important! Without the truth, people are uncertain, confused, feel lost, and are left to guess. For yourself, you need to be sure of the truth. For others, you need to know what the truth is - so you can tell them.
We're supposed to seek the truth, and we're not supposed to believe everything we hear. We should test things.
"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." (1 Thess 5:21)
"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." (1 John 4:1)
"I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars" (Rev. 2:2)
HOW do you find out if what someone says is true or no? What can you do to see the truth? Here are a few truth tests.
- It Can Be Verified by a Few Sources
- Other known truth. "We reason from the known to the unknown."
- More than one Scripture.
- "Two or three witnesses" is the Biblical standard for hearing if something said is true. (2 Cor 13:1; 1 Tim. 5:19; Heb. 10:28). Does it make sense to believe something based on just one scripture?
- OT and NT references. The OT refs. sometimes make sense only in light of the NT.
- Any news report, research paper, scholarly work needs sources. Correct beliefs need to have more than one scripture source.
- It Can Be Seen in Symbols and Patterns
- These are called "types" - or "figures", "patterns", "examples", and "shadows". (Hebrews 8:4-5; 9:23-24)
- The Passover lamb - shows the Messiah.
- Adam "typified" Christ - "the figure of him that was to come" (Romans 5:14).
- Wrong interpretations of the types can't "fit" and aren't harmonious. Correct interpretations fit perfectly.
III. It Has Good Results (Fruit)
- You can't argue with the end result of what something produces. It's obvious.
- Examples speak for themselves.
- Islam: oppression of women, constant war, deception ("taqiyya") is honored (see http://answering-islam.org).
- Biblical Christianity: progress in society, strong character, good works, truth is honored. Etc.
- Results of living against Biblical standards.
- It's Logical
A.Use your brain, think about the things you are told, and resist ignorance. It's not cool to NOT know things!
- God designed and created your brain. What could honor Him more than to use it?
- It's a biblical principle. Proverbs 26:4-5 expects you to use your brain to know what to do. Isaiah 1:18 - "let us reason together."
- Jesus questioned people to make them think! Matthew 22:42: "What think ye of Christ? Whose son is he?" Many examples.
- "Truth" makes sense when you think about it.
- "Truth" fits in harmoniously with the rest of creation, other known facts, science, history, human experience, and the Bible!
- Which People Believe It - and Which People Oppose It
- When people of proven good character do something or believe something, take notice!
- If they’re right about other things in life, could they be right about this too?
- Are they fools, or do they show wisdom in their lives? Wise people are worth listening to.
- The stances of "the world system" can tell you what's true/false and right/wrong. This is clear with many issues:
- The definition of "marriage"
- The name of Jesus Christ
- One-world government
- Contrast makes things clear and obvious sometimes!
There are probably some other ways to test if something is true, and whether you should accept (and believe) it - or not. These are some of the easiest ways you can test things in your life, that you see on the news, and that you hear from other people. Above all, you need to make sure that you're willing and open to receive the truth. Have the attitude that you want to be teachable, and that you rely on God for all your guidance and wisdom.
You don’t have to believe what I believe, or what anyone tells you to believe. That’s not the point. The point is that you should seek to believe what God wants you to know – the truth. Ultimately, He needs to be the ultimate authority in your life. Without hearing His words, we have no real truth - because He IS Truth!