HOW DO I FOLLOW GOD? - Bible Study Lesson Outline
HOW DO I FOLLOW GOD?
It might seem weird to follow someone who you can't see or hear. But remember, it's only in the "flesh" - physically - that we can't see or hear God. The spiritual person can see and hear God! We need to “see” the Lord and “hear” His voice to follow him. And, it’s described in the Bible as a “walk”.
Colossians 2:6 “As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him”
2 Corinthians 5:7 “For we walk by faith, not by sight”
The Bible tells us to follow Jesus. Many times he said “Follow me” to people in the Bible. Following the Lord involves:
1. Seeing the paths that are available.
2. Discerning the correct path to take.
3. Walking on the correct path.
I. BELIEVE IN JESUS
A. Salvation must come first. You have to believe Jesus payed for all sin and place your faith in Him!
- One of the few requirements in the Bible. Even IT is a choice, however: God doesn't force anyone to do anything.
B. It makes no sense for someone to "follow" God until they do the first thing He wants us to do!
1. Hear – “faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” Rom 10:17
2. Believe - “believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved” Acts 16:31
C. Trying to "live right" is impossible without God's Spirit. - All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags. (Is 64:6)
II. KNOW HIS VOICE
A. How can you know how He speaks and the kinds of things He says? Read the Bible.
- People recognize Homer Simpson's voice when they hear it. People recognize impressionists acting like celebrities. Even writer's have writing contests to see who can write a short story in the same style as Ernest Hemingway.
B. How and where can you hear Him today? His followers, both their words and their actions.
- Not just pastors or Bible teachers. Regular people!
C. How will you recognize Him speaking and know its really Him? You will encounter His character and ways in others. It can verified with scripture.
1 John 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
2 John 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
* Remember, one of His titles is the Word.
III. FOLLOW HIS VOICE TO WHERE HE IS
John 10:27 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"
A. The path of salvation starts with faith, and the rest of the walk is by faith. Faith is belief as well as trust. It means you will obey the things you are told to do! The first act you are told to do, after believing in Jesus, is to be baptized. Simple obedience to the things God says to do is part of following Him.
B. The correct path to take is spiritual; it's not the same path as the world. It doesn't cater to the "flesh".
Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Galatians 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
C. Where He is there's light.
1 John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
- Not hidden, not dark, not confusing, not strange, not disturbing, not uncomfortable, not scary, not dirty. Plain, orderly, bright, clean, happy.
Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
IV. LISTEN FOR WAYS HE IS SPEAKING
A. Bible reading. Rely on God's word.
Matthew 4:4 "But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."
B. Opportunities that come into your life - open doors and unusual circumstances
- Closed doors, obstacles you can't get past
C. Talents or abilities you have that God gave you and wants you to use
D. Through other people who follow Him (2 Thess 3:7)
E. The leading of the Spirit, intuition, the "still small voice"
- Clear and inescapable thoughts. Proverbs 16:3 "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established."
Remember, you should SEEK His will. Matthew 6:33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."