DREAMS - Bible Study Notes
* search King James Pure Bible Search for "dream"
God visits people with a message
Gen 20:3-7 Abimelech (warning about Abraham and Sarah)
Gen 31:10-11 Jacob (son of Isaac, son of Abraham)
Gen 31:24 Laban
The future is revealed symbolically
GOOD NEWS - TO SHOW GOD'S PRESENCE when we look at a situation later.
Gen 37:5 Joseph (son of Jacob)
- Why symbolically? To allow a message to be relayed that can be decoded later. This can be used to demonstrate pre-knowledge of something by the one who sent the symbolic message. A symbol can accurately send data - such as an event or a message or instructions - in a way that isn't immediately clear. Coded messages are used extensively in wartime. They are used by spies. And they are used by embassies.
[Family tree: Abraham(Sarah)->Isaac(Rebekah)->Jacob/Israel(Rachael)->(Joseph)]
NOTE: Joseph told his dream to all his brothers and parents. No one seems to have taken it seriously (?) other than his father Jacob. His brothers envied him but Jacob "observed the saying".
DEMONSTRATING THAT GOD MAKES DECISIONS ABOUT OUR LIVES BEFOREHAND, THAT HE HAS SERVANTS THAT HE SPEAKS TO ABOUT US, THAT WE SHOULD LISTEN TO HIS MESSENGERS
Gen 40:5 Butler and Baker
- Dreams have interpretations (40:5,40:8-9,40:16). This means that a dream can be a coded message, and tells about events that will happen. They are tailored to the dreamer and sent to the person dreaming - but sometimes an outsider is meant to show the meaning.
- People sometimes ignore amazing messages from God, they ignore God's servants, they go on with life selfishly. (40:23 - "YET did not the chief butler remember Joseph, but forgat him".)
BAD NEWS - WARNINGS ABOUT WHAT IS COMING AND HOW TO SAVE OURSELVES AND OTHERS
Gen 41:7 Pharaoh
- His spirit was troubled - he knew SOMETHING was wrong, and something was coming...but didn't understand what it was.
- He knew enough to attempt to search for the truth, spiritually. (41:8). But didn't know the best/only source of knowledge (Joseph).
- The butler remembered Joseph as a dream interpreter and told Pharaoh.
INTERPRETATIONS OF DREAMS ARE NOT IN US
- Gen 41:16 They come directly from God.
- Those who make codes also make the means to decode the message. They don't give the cipher (cod decrypter) to just anyone - only the people who need it. NEED.
DIFFERENT DREAMS CAN BE USED TO SEND THE SAME MESSAGE
- Gen 41:25 The different versions of Pharaoh's dream all said the same thing using different symbols.
- This verifies the transmission of the message.
- Underlines the importance of the message.
- A recurring dream may be an urgent or important message.
- It can show that a dream is showing something that definitely will happen and can show urgency. Gen 41:32 shows that it was a definite event, established and planned by God. (There was a purpose to it in fact.)
"Saw in my dream" (Gen 41:22)
- We see, hear, feel, speak in our dreams.
- These are all functions of the soul, not just the physical body.
- People are able to do all these things in hell or heaven as well. (Rich man & Lazarus)
GOD SPOKE TO PEOPLE IN DREAMS
- Num. 12:6 Audible speech was for Moses, but prophets got "dark speeches" (v.8) in dreams.
- It is how God spoke to prophets.
DREAMS CAN BE USED TO DELIVER A MESSAGE TO SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE DREAMER
- Judges 7:13-15 A man recounted his dream to his friend, which Gideon overheard. Gideon heard it all, and knew what to do.
- The dream and the explanation of what it meant had more meaning and significance for Gideon than anyone else including the dreamer himself.
GOD CAN CONVERSE WITH A PERSON IN A DREAM
1 Kings 3
- It was a turning point of dramatic change in Solomon's life. He become the wisest of all men after that dream.
GOD INFLUENCES US THROUGH DREAMS
- God speaks in dreams briefly - once or twice - but we rarely see it. Job 33:14-17
- He seals our instruction within us, yet we don't have understanding of it.
- He does this when he needs to help us.
* Dreams "fly away" and a dream is a "vision of the night". Job 20:8