BEWARE OF SPIRITUAL PHENOMENON - Bible Study Notes
BEWARE OF SPIRITUAL PHENOMENON
- Supposedly evidence of the Holy Spirit.
- Speaking in an unknown tongue
* First of all, tongues-talkers can't wait to do it in the church service. Instead of keeping silence in the church as the scripture says, you will find women (preachers and attendees) jabbering in unknown tongues. What happened to the verses in Proverbs (and elsewhere) warning us about our speech, and the tongue, and how much better it is to hold our words??
Proverbs 21:23 "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles."
* A sign of judgement
Isaiah 28:11 "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people."
Isaiah 33:19 Thou shalt not see a fierce people, a people of a deeper speech than thou canst perceive; of a stammering tongue, that thou canst not understand.
Isaiah 32:1 "Behold, a king shall reign in righteousness, and princes shall rule in judgment. 2 And a man shall be as an hiding place from the wind, and a covert from the tempest; as rivers of water in a dry place, as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land. 3 And the eyes of them that see shall not be dim, and the ears of them that hear shall hearken. 4 The heart also of the rash shall understand knowledge, and the tongue of the stammerers shall be ready to speak plainly."
- Falling down ("slain in the spirit")
* Confusion as in Psalms 70:2
* Carnality, rebellion, unwillingness to obey God.
Isaiah 1:4 "Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward."
Isaiah 28:13 "But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken."
* A sign of rebuke, a sign that the hearer is repulsed by the speaker. OPPOSITE POLES OF A MAGNET.
John 18:4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? 5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. 6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
FALLING - ESPECIALLY BACKWARD - BEFORE THE LORD IS A **VERY** BAD SIGN.
- It is NOT a sign of the Holy Spirit's presence.
Contrast with Ezekiel's experience;
Ezekiel 2:2 "And the spirit entered into me when he spake unto me, and set me upon my feet, that I heard him that spake unto me."
Ezekiel 3:24 "Then the spirit entered into me, and set me upon my feet, and spake with me, and said unto me, Go, shut thyself within thine house."